Friday, January 8, 2010

Wholistic Pet Colostrum for a Rescue Dog with Pneumonia

by Pat Crew

I have been rescuing Cocker Spaniels for 12 years and I have taken in many Cockers in deplorable condition. When Oreo, a ten month old black and white male, was rescued from an urban shelter, he had kennel cough, bad skin and ear infections. Kennel Cough is quite common in big city shelters, so I continued the treatment that the shelter vets had sent. Bad skin and ears clear up with regular cleaning and good food.

Several days later, Oreo was no better, now he did not want to eat and the cough was worse. I started him on Nutrical and called a vet who had the ability to isolate Oreo. At the hospital he was admitted with “classic pneumonia”. He was treated for 8 days in the hospital. When he was able to go to his foster home, he still needed special attention and care. I started him on Canidae dog food and NuPro supplements with his medication. He was doing well but I wanted to find a supplement that would give Oreo the boost he needed.

John from Wholistic Pet visited the Bedminster store last week to give the staff a better understanding of his products. One product that I thought would be immediately valuable for my current situation with Oreo, was Colostrum. I was looking for supplements to help him recover and Wholistic Pet Colostrum seemed the way to go.

Wholistic Pet Colostrum represents nature’s complete nutritional package. Colostrum is loaded with all the nutrients necessary to sustain life and it contains the essential Mother’s antibodies. Colustrum is a great choice in providing for your pet in times of stress, illness and during periods of recovery.

I started Oreo on Colostrum by just sprinkling it on his food. It would help booster his immune system and help his body heal. He now has a great appetite and gobbles everything up. Oreo had bad flaky skin and little hair on his back from a flea allergy. The vet had been concerned but I commented that with a good food the coat would improve. I used Chris Christensen Peace and Kindness Spray on his sparse back coat and (hairless) tail. I sprayed and rubbed it in and he loved the massage. When we visited the vet for a good bye, she remarked that his coat had come in beautifully and his tail was starting to fill in with new hair. He is recovering quickly but is still not fast enough to chase the rabbits in the yard that he thinks he can catch!

Simply put, my rescue dog is getting stronger every day and is going to his forever home next week!